Saturday, June 30, 2012

Yogurt Cookies!


I am always on the look out for more ways to use yogurt and the other homemade milk products that we have on hand. So the other night when I was craving a sweet treat and found an easy recipe on All Recipes, I decided to make yogurt cookies! They turned out wonderful and they are more healthy!
  Here is the basic recipe:

1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of molasses
1/4 cup of palm shortening
1/4 cup of regular shortening
1/2 cup of yogurt, (I used Greek)
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
semi-sweet chocolate chips

I really liked them, but next time I won't use regular shortening. I used this recipe from All Recipes, and hadn't made them before, so I followed the recipe pretty closely using what I had on hand.

 I really like the idea of this recipe because it makes eggless chocolate chip cookies and uses less fat in general. I love to cook with coconut oil and butter as my favorite fats/oils, but I also try to conserve them since we are living on our food storage. Palm shortening is something new that I have been learning about. It is a healthier alternative to regular shortening and butter. It is a solid at room temperature and is excellent in biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment